HMRC Contact Number: 0330 200 3300

Phone HMRC’s main general enquiries phone number 0330 200 3300 to contact them about your tax payments.

Her Majesty’s Revenue & Customs (HMRC) are a non-ministerial department of the UK government which is responsible for the collection of income tax, the payment of some supportive benefits that are linked to tax and the regulation of VAT payments. If your enquiry with HMRC regards income tax payments then phone 0330 200 3300 if you pay under the PAYE system or call 0300 200 3310 if you have to fill out self-assessment tax returns.

As aforementioned, HMRC are also responsible for the payment of certain tax-related benefits, so if you would like to claim tax credits due to low income you can phone their UK phone number 0345 300 3900, where you can also notify them of circumstances that would affect the amount you are paid. Similarly if you recieve child benefit payments to support your offspring you can call the tax office on their contact number 0300 200 3100 to tell them about a change in your child’s circumstances, such as if they have left full time education or if they have moved under the care of the other parent.

Main HMRC contact numbers

Department Telephone number
Income tax enquiries 0330 200 3300
Self assessment queries 0300 200 3310
Child benefit 0300 200 3100
National insurance 0300 200 3500
Tax credits 0345 300 3900
Employer enquiries 0300 200 3200
VAT 0300 200 3700

HMRC Postal Addresses

With approximately 30 million taxpayers in the UK it is understandable that HMRC maintains a number of separate offices for each department, thus preventing them from being overly-inundated with post. Thus if your letter of enquiry regards income tax and self-assessments then please direct your mail to this postal address:

Pay As You Earn and Self Assessment,
HM Revenue and Customs,
BX9 1AS,
United Kingdom.

Similarly if you only wish to contact HMRC about your tax credit payments by post then please use their dedicated address:

HMRC Tax Credit Office,
PR1 4AT,
United Kingdom.

Child Benefit payments are similar to tax credits in that they are linked to your earnings and therefore the amount of tax that you should pay, please use this address if you want to write to the Child Benefit Office:

HM Revenue and Customs – Child Benefit Office,
PO Box 1,
Newcastle Upon Tyne,
NE88 1AA,
United Kingdom.

If you believe you are on the wrong national insurance code and thus are overpaying tax, or if you are an employer and you need to check how much your employees should be paying then please write to the National Insurance & Employer Office using their address here:

National Insurance Contributions and Employer Office,
HM Revenue and Customs,
BX9 1AN,
United Kingdom.

Similarly if you are an employer or company owner and you want to examine your VAT contributions to avoid underpaying this national tax then you should write to HMRC using this postal address:

HM Revenue and Customs – VAT Written Enquiries Team,
Alexander House,
21 Victoria Avenue,
SS99 1BD,
United Kingdom.